Cacti on PostgreSQL 2023

Anything that you think should be in Cacti.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

dwhitemv25

Cacti on PostgreSQL 2023

Post by dwhitemv25 »

Hello,

I know, this gets asked a lot, and this is NOT a request for our esteemed developers to implement it. There are very good reasons why MySQL-like databases are the supported database, and that's not likely to change anytime soon (the GitHub issues list is .. daunting, and most of those are of far higher importance).

But, I wanted to attempt a conversion just to see how much work was needed, and recorded my findings in the event some enterprising contributors wanted to help sand off some sharp corners and make a future conversion easier.

I used a tool to convert the schema and spent about 12 hours editing the source to convert MySQLisms to PostgreSQLisms, and afterward had the GUI largely working (graph display, at least).

A conversion was certainly very achievable in a bounded time.

The improvements that would help the most with any future conversion are, interestingly, the ones that would best future-proof Cacti from any changes in MySQL -- removing the need for compatibility sql_modes. In particular:
  • ALLOW_INVALID_DATES / NO_ZERO_DATE / NO_ZERO_IN_DATE -- '0000-00-00 00:00:00' is used as a sentinel in a few places, mostly in the host monitoring code and the poller. During my conversion I tried changing this to '-Infinity' which is the PostgreSQL equivalent, but it turns out the poller does things like UNIX_TIMESTAMP('0000-00-00 00:00:00') which is implicitly changed to UNIX_TIMESTAMP(0), but emits a warning. One suggestion from stackoverflow was to use a valid but impossible date, like 1000-10-01. Modern MySQL also allows NULL in DATETIME fields, and I don't think you have to worry about people using .NET connectors, which don't support NULL date/time fields, to poke around the Cacti internals. (Or do you?)
  • STRICT / ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY -- I found a couple of queries that use implicit GROUP BY members, they are (mostly) easily fixed by using SELECT DISTINCT instead.
  • ANSI_QUOTES -- This isn't really a "compatibility" mode, but this is surprisingly easy to do by hand, and may survive an automated conversion too. There are only 2 places, both in lib/poller.php, that use backticks in the shell sense (run this command and return the output) and shouldn't be rewritten. The bigger problem was using double quotes for strings... I don't want to see enabled="on" for some time after fixing it in the hundreds of places that appears.
It would really help portability to consistently use $pdo->quot() with identifiers instead of hard-coding backticks everywhere. If anyone takes on an ANSI_QUOTES pass on the code, use that instead of changing the backticks to double quotes. Your test case is the column host.default, where 'default' is a reserved word.

The more involved conversions are INSERT .. ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE ("upsert") and REPLACE INTO queries. PostgreSQL has an equivalent upsert construct, and REPLACE INTO can be translated to a transactional DELETE and INSERT. It's certainly possible to automate those rewrites.

Other miscellaneous issues: There is one use of archaic INSERT .. SET syntax in the SNMP agent. There is also some unsafe assumptions about DEFAULT values in a few places (inserting NULL into a NOT NULL column replaces it with the DEFAULT value on MySQL, but throws a constraint violation on PostgreSQL) and one place in the MIB cache where it inserts a value on a AUTO_INCREMENT column that it doesn't need to. Oh, and watch out for places in poller that wants to CREATE TABLE.

I did find a bug in the MIB cache code in update() where an INSERT is missing a required field ... guess that code path doesn't get exercised very much.

Finally, another thread mentioned that database changes affect plugins. No easy way to address it painlessly if 3rd party code can directly access your internals. Might just have to slot those changes for Cacti 2.0.

Thanks for listening, and I hope this helps someone down the road.
TheWitness
Developer

Re: Cacti on PostgreSQL 2023

Post by TheWitness »

If you want to join the team and work more formally on this, I'm not opposed. You should start by forking Cacti into your own repo and start making the changes to your local copy. You can reach out to us for direction as you find these issues.

1) Upsert - Glad that starting with PostgreSQL 9.5 they adopted similar syntax
2) Replace Into - Use Upsert Instead
3) Lot's of Little MySQL'isms - Likely the biggest part of the project
4) Spine - Yea, a lot of work here too starting with updating configure.ac and then the database API. Achievable though.

You can always reach out for specific change advice at developers@cacti.net or through my email thewitness@cacti.net.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?