Exporting and importing a template

Templates, scripts for templates, scripts and requests for templates.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

ITMan8060

Exporting and importing a template

Post by ITMan8060 »

Thank you for taking a look at my question.

I am exporting a graph type template from a 1.2.17 Cacti install and importing it into a 1.2.25 cacti install. There are no errors in the export or import. However the template does not appear in the graph type dropdown.

The graph is uses for network interfaces and shows IN/OUT and Error/Discards.

Below are link to the images of where the graph should be.

This is what the graph looks like.

How can I import the graph template and have it show up here? Currently when it is imported it shows up as a graph template but not under the network interfaces and because of that it does not work.

Thank you for your time and help you provide.

Paul
ITMan8060

Re: Exporting and importing a template

Post by ITMan8060 »

I rebuilt the graph template manually by duplicating a template then adding the additional data.

duplicated Traffic (Error/Discards) and added the Traffic (IN/OUT). I now have the template I want. I add the template but the RRD files are not created. I was first thinking it was permissions. However I can create graphs with the the individual templets. I did test permissions but had the same results.

Is there a direct command I can run to test the building of the initial RRD files?

Thank you again for your time.

Paul
macan
Cacti Pro User

Post by macan »

Try console->Troubleshooting->Data sources

It could you any advice
Let the Cacti grow!
ITMan8060

Post by ITMan8060 »

Thanks for the suggestion Macan.

Looks like the new data source wasn't working. So I started over. Basically the graph I want is the interface traffic (bits) and Errors and discards combined. I deleted the graph I was trying to make and started over by copying the interface traffic (bits) to a new template. I added a couple of comments and then added a line for the errors following the same settings as the errors and discards graph. I then tested with the same results, the graph is broken. I am puzzled as to why there is an issue with the data source and graph when all settings match known working templates.

Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks,

Paul
macan
Cacti Pro User

Post by macan »

show result of data source troubleshooting and check cacti log for errors
Let the Cacti grow!
ITMan8060

Post by ITMan8060 »

The image contains the data source trouble shooter output.

The graph had a line added and everything else was created automatically.

Error message:

Data Source: discards_in
Issue: For attribute 'error', issue found 'DS 'discards_in' missing in Cacti definition'

These were the settings I copied from the error and discards template.

TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

Hopefully you made a backup of your modifications. Cacti 'default' templates should be duplicated as we, from time to time, make updates.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
ITMan8060

Post by ITMan8060 »

The template I was originally working with was an export from Cacti version 1.2.17. The template imported but all data sources failed. I abandoned that and started fresh.

I made a duplicate of the traffic IN/OUT Bits per second Cacti template. Using the new duplicate template I started to add the graph lines for Error/Discards following the settings in the Cacti Error/Discards template. This was the results. I am a bit baffled as to why it is not working. The Data source information was all the defaults suggested by Cacti. No original templates and data sources were changed. This is a bit frustrating as I have building graphs as far back as version 0.8.8f.

I may just move on to another graph issue. That would be a separate topic but the AKCP Sensor2+ devices do not have the system OID and do not work with the available template.
TheWitness
Developer

Post by TheWitness »

There were a number of issues across a broad spectrum especially associated with Data Queries between 1.2.16 and 1.2.23. So, upgrade but if you still have 0.8.8 somewhere, best grab the 1.2.x branch and upgrade from it. We just corrected an issue with regard to old 0.8.x upgrades in the pending 1.2.26 release.
True understanding begins only when we realize how little we truly understand...

Life is an adventure, let yours begin with Cacti!

Author of dozens of Cacti plugins and customization's. Advocate of LAMP, MariaDB, IBM Spectrum LSF and the world of batch. Creator of IBM Spectrum RTM, author of quite a bit of unpublished work and most of Cacti's bugs.
Interesting Device Packages

For those wondering, I'm still here, but lost in the shadows. Yearning for less bugs. Who want's a Cacti 1.3/2.0? Streams anyone?
ITMan8060

Post by ITMan8060 »

TheWitness Thank you for the input. I'll wait and upgrade my 1.2.25 build to 1.2.26 and try to build the graphs again then.

Thanks you again.

Paul